Saturday, August 3, 2013

Katydid

Encyclopedia Britannica: Katydid (insect) is related to crickets and grasshoppers and has a loud mating sound. Some Katydids resemble leaves and are called leaf-katydid. The noise made by the katydid comes from rubbing its wings together and because one wing is ridged, it causes the rasping sound.

I happened to see, what I thought was a green leaf, on my front porch. On closer inspection I saw its legs
and knew it was a "bug" of some sort.  I took a picture of it and looked the image up on the computer. It is surprising how it camouflages itself by looking like a leaf. The silly bug was on the red wood so it was easy to spot.
"That leaf on the wall
tried to fool me
until a leg stuck out
and left no doubt
it was a insect for sure,
yet I couldn't tell if
it was a him or a her!"
E. Moscoso
August 3, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment