Monday, June 9, 2014

Super Great Treat, If True

Vegetables are something I sometimes forget to eat. I am trying to eat healthier but still cannot stay away from some of my unhealthy snack foods like chips, chocolate, and cookies. While shopping the other day, the prayers to my dreams were answered. Chips made out of vegetables. I took the free sample that was being handed out, and found the chips to be very tasty. How could this be, I asked myself, how can vegetables be made into chips so that by eating the chips I get my daily recommendation of vegetables. Not possible my brain said. I purchased a bag of eat your vegetables and read the ingredients. "Bean (Navy, Red and Black) blend, dried potatoes, rice blend (white and brown), sunflower oil, non-gmo canola oil, vegetable blend (carrot, sweet potato, kale, konjac, spinach, broccoli, tomato, beet, shitake mushroom) seasoning (sea salt, onion powder, sugar, garlic powder, citric acid, natural flavor), potato starch. Konjac is a Japanese plant.

The package claims to be a full serving of vegetables in every ounce which is about 13 chips. When I got into the chips I must have eaten 40 chips which means I got three servings of veggies! Veggie Heart. Chip Soul is a trademark slogan on the package. Total fat in 1.0 oz (about 13 chips) is 7 g.  Calories 130 and calories from fat 60. Dietary fiber is 3 g. I will substitute these chips for my Classic Lays because if what is written all over the package is true, these should be better for me. Some of the other positives are: non-gmo ingredients, gluten free, 3g protein and fiber, no cholesterol, vegan, no msg, no nuts. Was this too good to be true? My best bet is not to eat any chips at all, but that is something I probably cannot do cold turkey! Maybe these "healthier" chips will help me wean off the regular chips and again, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment