Monday, August 3, 2015

Getting to Know You

About four years ago, I became a member of Young At Heart at Spirit of Christ Catholic Community. Since then, I am slowly getting to know different members. It does not help that my memory fades at times,  yet I do feel as if one day I will know more persons than I know now.

Yesterday, I was invited to a birthday party for two people celebrating their 80th and 80+ birthdays.   At mass I saw them surrounded by a large family. After mass, we went to a large room
decorated in white, lavender and purple. The drinks were set out along with a large cake and a table with a basket filled with cards. People began arriving and it was a happy and festive atmosphere!

The Italian food catered by Parma Trattoria-Mozzarella Restaurant was delicious while the hors d'oeuvre trays were different or maybe it was just me. I had never seen such a platter!

A fancy salad, lasagna, Zita, and sausages in a delicious sauce were served along with a hearty bread. Dessert was white or chocolate cake and spumoni ice cream.  And just as I thought that was all there was, a band named Young At Heart showed up to entertain with new and old hits. Dancing and a video of the couple's life was played and I felt as if I now knew the couple better!

To see pictures of them as babies, growing up, with their parents, getting
married, their children, grandchildren, their travels and where they worked gave me a better picture of who they were. Many of us only knew them as older adults but some lucky people knew them all their life. I could tell they were a fun couple to be around!

When the dancing began, it seemed as if everyone got up to dance either alone, with a partner or two women together. It did not matter because the music compelled many feet unto the dance floor, even our pastor!


I not only was getting to know the birthday couple better but I felt as if I knew our priest a little bit better also!

There should have been over 160 candles on the cake for the birthday couple to blow out but a symbolic few candles were placed on the cake. If there were wishes made before blowing out the candles, I cannot imagine what they could have been because from what I could see, this couple had been blessed many times over!

How happy I was to have been included at the couple's birthday party. Happy Birthday to two lovely people with a beautiful family and many wonderful friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment