Monday, August 31, 2015

The Disappearance of the Green Chile

While I was in Greeley this past weekend, I was given three packages of frozen green chile. My thought was that I would have chile for quite awhile but I did not know that I would love the green stuff so much I polished off one bag in less than twenty-four hours.
By the time I got home from my Greeley visit, one package of the chile was almost unfrozen so I did not place it in the freezer with the other two packages. Toward evening when I got hungry for dinner, I warmed a tortilla, melted cheese on it, and put 4 tablespoons of the green chile.The chile had such a good flavor that I repeated the process. I can forget Hatch's or Pueblo green chile because this chile beats them both! I was told the chile seeds are from a crop begun many years ago from an ancestor.

 This morning I decided to have me an egg smothered with the plain green chile just as it came out of the baggie. I decided I liked it just as it came out of the package and did not add anything to it other than salt. My breakfast was perfect eaten with a warm tortilla. Yet, there was still some chile in the bag so I poured it into the skillet and warmed it. Imagine my  surprise when I saw the baggie was empty. How could I have eaten one bag so fast?

I knew the answer to my question without having to think about it.  The chile was  tasty, had just the right bite to it and I love green chile. I still have two bags in the freezer and I am hoping to control my urge for green chile, at least until I have time to prepare it with chunks of pork, tomato, garlic, and salt.  Or not!

I love that green chile stuff,
seems I can never have enough.
A little bite, but not too much,
with just a bit of a hot touch.
I can eat it all day long,
with Chas' chile I can't go wrong.
E. Moscoso
August 31, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment