At my Timeline Bible class there are two students by the name of Shirley. Today I learned that there is a group of "Shirleys" that have formed a club and have social gatherings. One of the Shirleys told me she attends lunches with other Shirleys! In the picture below she is in the middle of the photo in turquoise and black.
I looked on the Internet to see more about the Shirley Club and learned that a woman named Shirley from Australia asked anyone named Shirley to join her for lunch and sixty-three showed up. This was in 1966 and the Shirley Club was born! The two requirements to belong are fifteen dollars a year for dues and your name has to be Shirley. Presently, there are 183 members in seventeen states plus Australia, Canada and New Zealand. The club focuses on fun, food and friendship.
This year, the National Shirley Club USA convention will be held at the Double Tree by Hilton at Denver Stapleton North on July 22-25, 2016. When I read the activities, I wished my name was Shirley so I could attend. There will be three bus tours and one is for those who are not named Shirley. I suppose it is for spouses, friends and relatives. The non-Shirleys for $30 will travel to Buffalo Bill's Grave, Red Rocks, Mardi Gras Casino and Coors Brewery.
The $50 tour will go to Georgetown, Mt. Evans and White Fence Farm; while the $60 tour goes to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. They will travel over Trail Ridge Road and end up at Cinzetti's Italian Market and Restaurant.
Now, tell me that you are sorry your name is not Shirley so you could also enjoy the fun activities! Shirley from my class said, "The one good thing is that you never have to ask someone's name when you attend a get together at the Shirley Club!"
No comments:
Post a Comment