Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Ash Wednesday Thoughts

The Mountain Climber

Without my say
I was born into
a family of people
who climb mountains.
Each generation struggled
up the mountain and some
made it and some did not.
Now it is my turn.
I begin slowly
placing baby steps
along the well-traveled path.
Then, I got older
and it became harder
to place my feet
where they should go.
Sometimes, as I neared
the top and felt as if
I might make it
to the crest,
I would decide to take a rest.
I lingered too long in a life
of sin and found myself slipping
and tumbling down the
mountain so high.
The fall landed me
near the bottom of the hill,
and I wondered if I should give up.
I had been taught to not stop
trying to reach my goal.
The climb now seemed harder.
There were many
temptations along the way
and many times I stopped to play.
That high peak seemed unobtainable
Yet, if I could climb to the top
I knew it would be beautiful,
a sight to behold,
a place of peace.
There would be no more struggles
No more falling into an abyss.
For I would have
gained what I yearned for
no longer would my life be a chore.
My life's goal is to reach the top
without making my life a big flop.
I will continue trying
and climbing until I
reach that paradise
that was promised to me
so long ago.

E. Moscoso
Ash Wednesday
February 10, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment