Saturday, January 7, 2017

Twenty Years A Priest

On January 6, 2017, a celebration for our priest at Spirit of Christ Catholic Community took place at the Spirit Center. It all began with mass at five with many parishioners present. Deacons and priests helped in the celebration.  Even though it was only about six degrees outside, inside the warmth came from all who loved the priest. For the first time I picked up on the priest's sense of humor. He began his homily with, "I was asked how long I intended to talk, and I said 'This is my celebration and I will speak maybe a long time!' "

He gave a wonderful synopsis of how he became a priest giving most of the credit to his mother's prayers plus everyone else who prayed for him. He talked about his uncertainties, seeing his father cry for the first time, not sure he wanted to stay in the order he had chosen, and how he thanked everyone for accepting him and praying for him. There were other things he mentioned, but I could only retain what I have written. Yes, amid the Christmas decorations for a joyous season, the love for our priest was noticeable.

The reception area was decorated in red and white and two long tables were loaded with food from different kinds of salads, main dishes consisting of pastas, chicken, and casseroles. Dessert were three large cakes with one decorated in a special way!

As I watched people approach our priest, I wondered if he even got to eat. He was constantly surrounded by his parishioners.





This Is Your Life was a video of parts of his life. A roaring reaction when we saw him with a beard and moustache or feeding a kangaroo. We saw him on his travels to Medjugorie, Australia, India and Mexico and saw him at weddings, celebrating mass, and funerals. He was the priest who sent my son on his journey to heaven and even though I had always liked him, I found myself loving and respecting the kind, spiritual and humble priest more than ever.


I am sure he will remember his 20th year as a priest celebration and know how much he is loved and appreciated.

Dear God, we are fortunate in having your beloved priest in our parish.
Thank you for sending him to us and allowing us to know and love him.
Thank you for this kind man who celebrates twenty years as a priest.
Watch over him as he continues serving you with an open and holy heart.
Amen

Congratulations Fr. Jacob!

No comments:

Post a Comment