On Friday, January 6, 2017, I was invited to a party celebrating what is known as the Feast of Three Kings. I could not go. On Sunday I was invited to another celebration for the Three Kings and again I was unable to attend. Two fiestas in the Mexican tradition and as I found out are also celebrated in many countries. I know that gifts are exchanged at this time, that it celebrates the three astrologers who followed a star to the manger, that a special round bread, like a ring, is made with a symbol hidden in the dough, and people gather for eating the bread and drinking hot chocolate.
When I was growing up, my family did not have this custom. Later, in my life, I would hear about the tradition from Hispanic friends who came from Mexico or Spain. I have since learned that other countries other than Latin countries, celebrate the day.
Germany and Poland have chalk blessed and over doorways they print the initials K for Kaspar, M for Melchior, and B for Balthazar for good luck during the year. Cake is served.
Italy and Russia have a witch who climbs down the chimney with gifts on January 5
for children to enjoy on January 6.
England celebrates by keeping a Yule Log burning until Twelfth Night, (January 6) and this is to bring blessings and good fortune for the coming year.
In some countries children put their shoes out and on January 6 they find gifts in them.
In Catholic churches the day is known as Epiphany that means Revelation in Greek. The day is also known as Little Christmas or Twelfth Night. In the Bible we learn that three kings (astrologers) followed a star to the manger where Jesus was born and brought gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Possibly the tradition of giving gifts began at that time.
I do not know who got the tiny Baby Jesus on Friday or Sunday but I am calling my friends to make sure I get the date of the Candlemass (Candelaria) on my calendar so I can join these traditional celebrations.
A blessing of candle or wick
on this day you can take a pick.
Celebrate presenting a Baby,
by enjoying atole and tamale.
On February two
no matter what you do
make it a ground hog day;
either way,
you chose between play or pray.
E. Moscoso
January 9, 2017
January 9, 2017
Note: Pictures shown are from my friend's Facebook page.
I once baked a Twelfth Night Cake which is supposed to contain a bean or a little toy baked in it.The person finding the bean or toy is supposed to have a year of good luck.I don't remember who got the item either, but I wonder if they had some good luck!
ReplyDeleteWhoever finds the bean is the King or Queen of the night's celebration. See Wikipedia...
ReplyDelete