Saturday, January 21, 2017

What A Difference a Day Makes

On Friday, January 20, 2017, my emotions were of sadness, feeling frightened, anxious, and anger. I wondered how the man that would become president could have won the election. Some of my friends watched as he was sworn in as the forty-fifth president if the United States. I did not. I had traveled to Latin countries and the United States was looked at with awe and admiration. Lately, I do not think many countries are in awe of our country.

Seeing President Obama and his family leaving saddened me. I have always believed that he had our best interests at heart. See my blog of  October 5, 2008 titled Peace Corps Types to see how I feel about our forty-forth president.

On January 21, 2017,  I watched television and saw the many states and countries where women marched to let the new administration know that they did not approve of the way women are treated. Without me thinking about it, I felt proud to be a woman and wished I had joined the many united marchers. An article on the Internet mentioned that fifty states and thirty-two countries would have people marching. I also read: "The women-led movement brings together all genders, ages, races, cultures, political affiliates and back grounds to our nation's capital.

There are many things that frighten me about our new president. Mostly how he says he never said certain things but videos show him saying the very things he denies. His tweets. How he verbally attacks those he disagrees with. Yet, he is our new president and I pray that he will get enlightened and maybe his undignified rants will not happen.

In the meantime, hooray for the people who came out on Saturday. As the words to Lee Greenwood's song  are heard, I also hope that God Bless the U.S.A.

womensmarch_wethepeoplequote

1 comment: