During my life, I have been around and seen many deaths of people I've loved and people I knew. Never have I felt and lived through someone's illness as one that I am following on Caring Bridge.org. Daily, (except once) an update of how my friend is feeling, what she is doing and what is being done for her is posted. The postings are heartfelt and humorous. I marvel at how something so serious can make me smile. Through the writings, we know when she throws up, when she can't go to the bathroom, if she is sleeping, if she goes for walks, what medications she is given, what makes her feel better, visitors stopping by, and the information keeps everyone aware of what is happening in her hospice life.
We are elated when we hear she went to a Super Bowl party, sad when she can't eat, happy when she attended mass, pained for her when her stomach hurts, we get a good feeling when she goes for a walk, when she makes a cup of coffee, when she gets dressed, tries on silly hats and tries to live to a normal beat. On Wednesday, February 15, 2017, I read that she is no longer eating, the priest administered the Sacrament of the Healing, people's comments switched from remembrances to saying good-bye and how she had affected their lives.

I cried. I was not super close to her but I had gone to lunch with her once and felt a loss that I would not get to know her better. Maybe because of the daily postings, I feel as if I am getting closer to her and to her family. I met most of her family at her 80th birthday party and knew she had done a great job in raising her family because they all seemed down to earth and nice people. She had given me a book that her husband had written and his sense of humor made me smile. The book came at an opportune time because on the very day I had lunch with her and she gave me the book, my son was admitted into the hospital and never regained consciousness. One chapter in the book deals with grief, a subject that helps me as I mourn my son. I do believe that God puts people in our lives for a reason.
Now, her end is near. I admire this strong woman who has led an exemplary life and as one of the posts let me know, she is ready for Jesus to come take her hand and lead her to eternal happiness.
| With my friend and her brother. |
Jesus came for her on February 19, 2017 at 5:45 p.m.
Rest in Peace dear lady.
Funeral Mass and Reception
February 24, 2017
At eleven in the morning, the casket was rolled into the church led by my friend's grandson carrying the large crucifix, immediate family, (two sons, two daughter-in-laws, and three grandchildren), and four priests. Many large flower arrangements adorned the altar. Beautiful music filled the church and many friends filled the pews.
The readings were appropriate and I wondered if my friend had picked them. The homily was touching and many were wiping their eyes, including the priest. The reception prepared by the Touch Committee of Spirit of Christ Catholic Community was crowded and the mood changed from sadness to joy. Memories were shared. I, along with many parishioners, was happy to see our past pastor. I do not know of any other priest that can give a homily like he can!
.
Internment was at Mt. Olivet but I did not go. I do not know how many people went to the cemetery but I do know that my friend was loved while living and her kindness, thoughtfulness and joy will be remembered for a long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment