Twenty-four young men and women auditioning for A Chorus Line gave the Arvada Center audience a taste of what it is like trying out for a part in a musical. There were no props other than large mirrors multiplying the few on the stage. The whole play is dancing, singing and story telling. I had seen the play some time in the 70's and loved it but it seems as if I had forgotten much of the story so I enjoyed the play all over again.
One of the dancers who is petite and looks as if she is about fourteen years old, told me she is thirty-two years old.
Some of the songs I remembered; I Can Do That, At The Ballet, and What I Did For Love. The play was full of energy, talent busting out all over, wonderful choreography, and in some parts funny. There is one fellow who tells his story and listening to his tough life, brought tears to my eyes. I saw him in the lobby and told him, "Your story was so sad that you almost made me cry!" His reply was, "Well, I guess that's good."
With so many persons trying out, I can imagine how stressful it can be, if only a few will be chosen. Reminded me of Matthew 24:14; "For many are called, but few are chosen." The ending with all the dancers dressed in glimmering gold and sparkles in front of a huge backdrop of bright lights, was not only beautiful but exciting!
Arriving home after the play, I looked for my copy of A Chorus Line that I had purchased sometime in the 80's. As I watched the DVD, I was amazed at how much the Arvada actors matched the movie with hairdos, clothing and acting.
"Every thing was beautiful at the ballet."
"But I can't regret what I did for love."
"Kiss today goodbye and point me toward tomorrow."
All quotes taken from A Chorus Line
No comments:
Post a Comment