I am sitting at my computer wondering what I should say about the trip and the very first thing that comes to mind are the wonderful people on the journey. What good sports, what beautiful people, how helpful they were, their kindness and the many nice comments I heard. The men did much of the work that I believed the driver should be doing. But, before I go on, I am going to begin at the beginning where all good stories or blogs should start.
September 8, 2017, the sun was a bright red-orange in the Eastern sky as I drove into the Spirit of Christ church parking lot. There were already people waiting and name tags were given out and we waited for the bus to take us on our three day journey to southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. The bus was scheduled to arrive around seven so that we could leave at seven-thirty. By seven-forty five I had placed two calls to the company to find out what had happened to the bus. Then someone said, "Here comes the bus!" I looked at a small bus turn into the parking lot and thought, that is NOT our bus. Yet, it WAS our bus and the driver was ready to take us on our journey.
Necessities needed on the buses are luggage space, bathrooms, and a microphone. The small bus had no place for the luggage or a bathroom. More frantic calls and I spoke with the person who would be driving us and he was on his way with the estimated time of arrival in about twenty minutes. He told me the bus had been getting repaired and he was on the way to pick us up. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the big bus arrive. The luggage was placed below, by two of the travelers. I thought that was odd because other bus drivers deal with our luggage. We boarded and the driver said, "I forgot my case, we have to go to Commerce City to pick it up." I said, "You know we are already over an hour late." He said, "It won't take long, and I need my case."
After traveling by oil tanks, refineries, and run down areas, he drove into a lot with broken down vehicles and picked up his case. My heart and mind wondered what kind of a trip was this going to be because it was starting out in such a bad way. My hope was that this was the worst and from now on it could only get better!
When I noticed him on his cell phone my heart sank. I kept thinking it was probably illegal but because he was difficult to understand, being from Nigeria, speaking in his own language, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought possibly he would soon stop. When I saw him fooling with checks while driving, I leaned in and said, "You know you shouldn't be on the phone while you are driving." He said something I did not understand. I figured he was going to do his thing regardless of what I said!
Because we were running late, I asked for a vote as to whether people needed to have a bathroom break in Pueblo. They wanted to keep on going. We continued. But, before long I was told that the toilet was full and it needed to be cleaned out.
I leaned in and spoke to the driver. He said he would stop soon. "On the other side of Pueblo," is what I heard. Pueblo came and went and the bus continued on its way. I asked him again where he would stop and he said something like "up a head." What I noticed was that if he doesn't want to understand he looks straight ahead with a stiff neck. Reminded me of a horse that is determined not to turn no matter how much you pull on the reins.
I called ahead and let the people in San Luis know that we were running late and we would arrive around one instead of twelve. The Knight of Columbus said, "We will keep the food warm for you." When we arrived, everyone headed straight for the bathrooms. I told the driver that he was invited to lunch after he took care of the bathroom situation. He left with the bus and when he returned we were ready to head to the top of the hill where the Capilla de Todos Los Santos is located. We had enjoyed a meal of green or red chili, a hamburger and bean burrito, rice with cheese, and apples with Biscochitos (The state cookie of New Mexico) for dessert.
Some people walked up the hill to admire the beautiful almost life-size statues by Huberto Maestas who lives and has his studio in San Luis. His work is displayed in different parts of the United States.
Every one wandered at their own pace and then we got on the bus to go visit Our Lady of Guadalupe Chapel.
The Happy Travelers
In my next blog I will cover Part 2 of our trip.
In my next blog I will cover Part 2 of our trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment