Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Part 3 of Babies or Trips

Sunday morning, after breakfast, we got on the bus to go to the Cathedral of St. Francis of Assisi. We were fortunate to find a place near the Cathedral to park the bus. I was under the impression that the Procession of La Conquistadora (Our Lady of Peace) would take place at the noon mass but we lucked out and it took place at the ten o'clock mass. The mass is impressive with beautiful music and all participants in the procession remind us of the past. The Blessed Mother is carried on men's shoulders on a wooden platform covered with flowers. In the procession there are priests, princesses, warriors, Knights, Native Americans, and a young man representing  Don Diego de Vargas.  Vargas, in 1693, reentered Santa Fe after having been driven out by hostile Indians.



After the spectacular mass we went to see the Spiral Staircase at the Loretto Chapel. Those that had never seen the staircase were amazed at the story of a mysterious carpenter building it. Architects, to this day, wonder how the free standing staircase could have been built. The story is that it was St. Joseph who appeared and did the work and then disappeared. It truly is a marvel and tourist attraction!

A group made their way to La Fonda Hotel where we ate lunch and consequently were late to get to the bus on the scheduled time.

The Fiestas are a fun place to be but on this trip I heard grumblings that there was not enough time to shop!
If another trip is planned, centered around the Fiestas, I will make sure that more time is allowed at the Plaza!

We started home and when we were about a hundred miles out of Santa Fe someone came to me and said the bathroom was extremely smelly and even with the door closed those sitting in the rear were having a difficult tine with the disgusting smell. I joked and told them to pretend they were near the stock yards or on a farm with animals. One man told me it smelled like when he was in the service in a foreign country. Another said they preferred a pig farm to the odor coming from the bathroom.

I spoke to the driver and he kept telling me there was no place to stop to clean the bathroom. Five or six times I told him he needed to find a place to clean out the bathroom. I could see his stiff neck and wondered if he would just keep driving until we reached Denver. I announced if there was anyone with a phone that could locate a dump station. Several people found some but the places called were not answering their phone. When the driver saw how agitated the people were getting, he said that Raton had one and since that was where we were going for a break, he would drop us off at a McDonald's and he would go clean the bathroom. Never in my trips have I had to deal with looking for a dump station. I feel as if I learned something in case it ever happens again, at least I know where there is one dump station!

At McDonald's there was camaraderie, lots of laughing, conversations galore, and some played games. One
fellow went and purchased Lysol disinfectant spray and deodorizers you can hang in cars to make the area smell better! A lady said, "every things has to be in perspective, imagine those people in Florida who have nothing, not even a bathroom!"

As we neared the church, I gave the driver a card with $200 and thanked him for getting us home safely. Some of the people said the driver did not deserve a tip. As I thanked him, I heard clapping, but not as energetically as I have heard in the past! I, also, was given an envelope with a surprise and when I opened it I realized that my pilgrims must have enjoyed the journey, regardless of the hic-cups! I let them know that a journey is only as good as those traveling. They can make or break a trip by their attitude and actions and our journey was successful because of them.

The main thing was that we were home safe. That we had enjoyed the sights and sounds of New Mexico. That new friendships had been made. And as I said at the beginning of my Blog on Babies or Trips, the good will be remembered and the bad, forgotten!

The most wonderful feeling is to love and to be loved!






Thank you God
for friends who made this journey a success
and for watching over us as we traveled!

2 comments:

  1. Despite the smell of stockyards or pig farms, it sounds like everyone had a wonderful,special time and that's what is important!

    ReplyDelete