Sunday, October 15, 2017

My Friend's Mother Celebrated Her 103rd Birthday Today

At the beginning of mass, either a priest or a deacon will announce what is happening within the parish the following week. They also ask if there are any birthdays and the birthday persons receive a candy for their birthday. Today, my friend's mother was celebrating her 103rd birthday and the priest walked over to the beautiful lady in a wheel chair and gave her a coupon for a birthday candy.




I walked across to where my friend was sitting and she began to introduce me to her family. It was a large family, filling three pews with happy faces. When I met her mother, I found it impossible to believe that the beautiful lady with silver hair and not a wrinkle on her face was one hundred and three years old.  It shocked me, in a pleasant way, when one of her sons, who is eighty, said, "Mommy." Not too many eighty year old persons have a living mother!

My thoughts were that this was a very classy lady and she looked so prim and proper. I guess seeing her in nylons surprised me because not too many women I know wear them anymore. I admired that she hung on to the traditions of covering her head, wearing a skirt, having her hair done up and nylons. Aside from how beautiful she looked, she is sharp and when I asked her what her secret of staying young was, she replied with a smile, "Work, work, work." My father who passed away at ninety-six would tell me that work is what had helped him stay young and healthy!

It was impressive to see the children present the gifts for communion. Thirteen brothers and sisters made me wonder if maybe that was the secret to having a long life!






 



After mass was over, Fr. Greg had the family gather in front of the altar to give the birthday girl a special blessing. It brought tears to my eyes to see the many family members hold out their arms to
bless their beloved relative.








Fr. said he would do the honor of pushing her wheel chair as everyone went out to the gathering space. The sweet lady was greeted by many of the congregation, as they congratulated and wished her a happy birthday. She smiled at all, as they grasped her hand. And then I met the 101 year old cousin. What genes this family must have, I thought. He told me he was from an area in New Mexico that my family originated and we tried to make a connection because my mother would have been around his age. I couldn't help but wonder that these two cousins were mentally sharp, out going and how much they must have seen as they grew up!




 I was able to take a picture of most of the family, but someone told me that others had already left. I did manage to get some of the sisters and brothers.






The large family mingled and chatted as I went around taking pictures. I am happy I was able to be at the mass to take pictures and to meet some of the family!

God Bless This Beautiful Family

2 comments:

  1. She certainly is a beautiful lady. I hope I look that wonderful when I am 80! and she is 103!! What a special day!I'll bet they were glad you were there to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing family! And so photogenic!

    ReplyDelete