Saturday, October 28, 2017

Too Many Funerals

It seems that the older I get, the more funerals I attend. Today I was at a funeral mass for a friend's sister . Once again I was amazed at the beauty of the church.  Here was another church that to me looked beautiful in its simplicity. I had never been at Mary Magdalene Church and loved the large stone walls behind the altar. Made me feel as if I was present in the times of  when Jesus was alive! I am convinced that no matter what church I attend, each has its own special beauty.


Today, there were five Spirit of Christ Catholic Community friends at the funeral mass. Our friend introduced us to some of her family before mass began and told us that out of seven children, only two are left. This funeral was for their sister who died unexpectedly on  Monday, October 23, 2017, at seventy-eight years old.

A great granddaughter gave the Eulogy and it was a beautiful tribute to her grandmother. Even though I did not know the person that died, she sounded like an exceptional person who taught her off -spring to be strong, brave and proud of their heritage. It was mentioned that everyone was her friend and she was ready to help anyone who needed help. I believe I would have liked knowing this lovely person.

May she rest in peace along with the many relatives who have gone before her. When it was mentioned she had lost a son, I could identify with the agony of losing a child. After all, aren't  parents supposed to go before our children?


I will end this Blog with the Native American Prayer that I found so peaceful as I read it in her Memorial Card.

I give you this one thought to keep,
I am with you still -- I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints of snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight,
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not think of me as gone,
I am with you still,
in each new dawn.
Unknown Author



2 comments: