Monday, October 30, 2017

Sunday Fun

My Sunday began at six in the morning when I got up ready to take my daughter to the airport. She had spent a few days with me and now she was headed home. The drive back from the airport had me looking at lavender-pinkish mountains as the sun rose behind me in a red-orange ball. Since there was no traffic, I enjoyed my drive home.

A visitor showed up at my house bearing gifts. Cookies and a beautiful cross to add to my collection. I decided to go to the ten-thirty mass and allow my two granddaughters to continue their beauty sleep. They had gone to a concert the night before and from what I hear, had a fabulous time dancing to the wild music!

At mass the homily hit home with the need to love one self, God and neighbor; must have all three because one without the other will have something missing. The priest gave an example of when he was in Belize and his experience with monks who were not charitable and a family who was the exact opposite. At the end of his sermon, the congregation applauded. A candle hanging above the tabernacle was for my son's one year anniversary of his passing. I liked that the candle would be there for one week and then someone else would add a candle for their loved one.


The Day of the Dead altars were set up again this year and I looked at the altars, watched children color and make sugar skulls, ate some Mexican bread and saw some friends. I rushed home to see what else was in store for me on the 29th of October.







Thinking that a Corn Maze would be fun we began the drive to where I thought a maze was located somewhere near Brighton. How wrong I was, because it is closer to LaSalle, Colorado and almost to Greeley. The large weedy lot must have had over a hundred cars parked in an orderly fashion, side by side, and I realized this was a popular place! We walked through rough dirt roads to get to the main entrance. I purchased tickets so we could do the maze though there were other things to do. A barrel train, large bouncer for children and adults, a haunted chapel, huge bubbles where kids could get inside the bubble and roll around in the water and, of course, the corn maze. We did Phase One and that was plenty for me. After walking for about an hour through dry corn stalks, I was ready to get out. It seemed as if we kept going around in circles.







 Finally, when we could not find our way out we asked a young man who works there to help us find the way out. We, not only my granddaughters and I, but other people wanting to escape, followed the young man to the exit. My daring granddaughters tackled Phase 2, a more difficult maze. While I waited for them I walked around and saw the many activities for families.





Only in Colorado can the weather change so rapidly. From a sunny warm day to a windy cool day.  Dust swirled around, and jackets came on. We left the maze and ended up at La Hacienda in
Broomfield for dinner. The atmosphere was great but the food was not.


It was a fun Sunday and I thank my visitors for making the day so happy and joyful. To love and to be loved is probably the most important part of living and I felt it this weekend!

1 comment: