On Monday, I woke up at 4:30 in the morning to listen to the weather reports. I flipped from channel to channel and all of the local stations were reporting the weather and driving conditions. I opened the front door and could see snow falling. The driveway was covered. At 7:15, I checked in with the bus company.
"This is not a good day to go to the mountains." I was told, "One of my drivers took one hour and forty minutes on a run that usually takes twenty minutes." The trip to Breckenridge was cancelled. I called the Outside Activities person of our Young At Heart group and between us we called the fifty-five persons to let them know the trip was cancelled.
The group I called was prepared to go and they told me how they were already dressed in their warmest outfits. Many were disappointed but agreed that the weather looked pretty bad. This excursion will now be planned for next year. I always remember the saying in Spanish: We can make plans but God decides.
There was more snow than had been predicted and I was happy I would not have to go out in the bad weather. Yet, by noon the sun was trying to shine and the snow was beginning to melt. "'That's Colorado weather" is our favorite saying! Here are two sculptures made from twenty-five tons of snow!
"We build statues out of snow
and weep to see them melt."
Walter Scott


No comments:
Post a Comment