I paid the $8.00 senior price and entered a brightly, natural lighted atrium with a huge map of the state of Colorado on the floor. Machines, (reminded me of Jules Vernes equipment, with levers, wheels, screens) can be moved around on the map and stories about that certain section will come on the screen explaining what happened on that spot in Colorado. I listened to sugar beet farming and Kuner pickles in the Brighton area.
Denver A to Z was an area with the Barrel Man, the Blue Bear, a wall of beer bottles, log seats to sit and watch videos and many other Denver trade marks.
A large area I found interesting was how people lived during pioneer days. Antonio Jose Chaves, a trader who traveled from Mexico to New Mexico, is a distant relative I found while doing research on my genealogy. Other facts about Indian women and how they lived, a woman spy by the name of Tafoya, fur hunters, traders, forts, soldiers, mountain men and cowboys all were involved in Colorado's history.
Mining for gold and silver in Colorado had many exhibits and entering a dark, small cage I got the impression of going down deep into the cave. Miners were searched when they came out of the mine to make sure they were not stealing any ore.
The photographs of soldiers from the Civil War to now gave me a lump in my throat. So many men killed in all the wars. I was amazed at all the wonderful photographs taken during the wars and saddened to see bodies, body bags, coffins wrapped in our flag, and wounded soldiers. Other photos made me smile like the friendship of foreign people welcoming the troops, camaraderie among the soldiers, girlfriends greeting soldiers coming home and soldiers saluting the flag. It is an amazing display of war time! I remember seeing small banners with stars when I was a little girl and learned that each star represented a son fighting in the war.
As I was leaving a group of Aztec dancers were performing in the Atrium.
One thing for sure, there was something for everyone at this Colorado museum.
No comments:
Post a Comment