Friday, July 26, 2013

Extraordinary Brain

We gathered at the Roslyn Bar where attorneys, writers, judges, and drunks met to hang-out. There was always interesting conversation and one afternoon some one said, "Have you seen the new movie called What's Up, Tiger Lily?" No one had seen it other than the speaker so he told us all about it.  "It is hilarious, clever, and some fellow by the name of Woody Allen wrote it." I believe everyone in that bar went to see the movie and later we would laugh and quote lines from the movie.

Life went on and I happened to see other Woody Allen films.  He was such a pathetic, little man and the large, dark rimmed glasses did nothing to improve his looks.  He seemed to be a nervous type and had a weird, whiny voice. Yet, his movies were witty and clever.  I could not help but be impressed with his brain. I believe I have seen every one of his movies and each time I am in awe at how he manipulates the actors,  plot, characters and the story line. In the sixties he became my favorite writer, director and actor.

"I've never been an intellectual
but I have this look."
Woody Allen

Now there is a new movie by Woody Allen called Blue Jasmine and I will go see it as soon as it opens near me.  I Googled Woody Allen and found out he began writing sometime in the mid-sixties and by my calculations he was around twenty-five years old. I found out he was a stand-up comic and a screenwriter, director, actor, comedian, and musician. Many of my friends do not like him because of his leaving Mia Farrow in 1992 and marrying Mia's adopted daughter. His private life never mattered to me, I was impressed by his cleverness.


How he can take every day common happenings and make them sad, tragic, funny, or caring that one actually feels for his characters is amazing to me. When he was young, he was never a good-looking man and now that he is in his late 70's with wispy, thin hair, he is even less good-looking than he used to be! His trade mark is large, black rimmed glasses. All I know is that I love his movies and his writing so what he looks like does not matter to me. I am not the only one who is impressed with his writing because he has won four Academy Awards and two Golden Globes plus many other awards.


"My one regret in life is that 
I'm not someone else."  
Woody Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment