Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Learning All About Being A Vegan


"If slaughter houses had glass walls,
everyone would be a vegetarian.
Paul McCartney


Both of my granddaughters are vegans. They eat no dairy, meat, eggs, or fish. I asked how they get their protein and they responded with beans and nuts. Anything purchased requires reading the label to see if it is edible on their vegan diet.
Finding vegan restaurants is difficult though I found out that with an iPhone, places can be found who cater to vegans. In Grand Junction we found a vegan restaurant and my veggie wrap with a hummus dressing was very tasty.  My fourteen year old granddaughter, who is spending her summer vacation with me, is strict on following the principle of being a vegan. Today, she decided to make coconut-almond milk by using coconut water and almonds.  For over twenty-four hours she soaked almonds in water until the brown skin could be easily removed.  She put the coconut water and the almonds in a blender and whipped them up until it turned into a yogurt like thickness.  She added vanilla and Stevia, (a type of sugar) and strained it through cheese cloth. It took a few passing through the cheese cloth until she had it at the right consistency.  She said it is a very refreshing drink!  Of course, we had to go buy the cheese cloth since I did not have any in my kitchen! Being a vegan might turn out to be expensive.

For dinner I fix salads, guacamole, bean soup, lentils, pizza with Gourmet Vegan cheese (soft and slimy) and vegan flat bread. We eat a lot of fruit. For breakfast I made pancakes with an egg replacement (a powder like substance), fruit dishes and toast with peanut butter.  I keep looking on the Internet for things to prepare that my granddaughter can eat.

"The Gods created certain kinds
of beings to replenish our bodies; 
they are the trees, and the plants
and the seeds."
Plato

I have found that vegans are in a world of their own.  And I am finding out that there are more than I realized! When we were in Breckenridge, we ate at Sloppy Dog's Restaurant and my vegan granddaughter ordered vegan chili made with a specially made hot dog for non-meat eaters. Everything was poured over chips and served in a doggie dish.  Avocado slices topped the dish and my granddaughter said it was very tasty.

I was surprised when I looked on the Internet and found that from 570 BC until now the benefit of not eating meat has been known! A true vegan does not wear anything made out of animal, though my other granddaughter said she still wears her Uggs, which is a no-no for vegans!

I do not think I could be a true vegan but I may become a sort of a semi-vegetarian.
Pitcher of coconut milk.

"A man can live and be healthy without
killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat
he participates in taking animal life merely for
the sake of his appetite.  And to act so is immoral."
Leo Tolstoy



No comments:

Post a Comment