Sunday, February 2, 2014

Bronco Mania

I am not a true Bronco fan.  Whenever the Broncos play, I find other things to do like read, go to a movie, get on the computer, go dancing, or watch something on television other than the game. I do check the score and watch the evening news for highlights of the game. That is sufficient for me. I am happy when they win yet I do not feel sad if they lose. I really, down deep, don't care if they win or lose. Sometimes, I find myself being amazed at certain plays, especially when it ends in a  touchdowns  I do not know the names of the players. I do know the name of the quarterback.

This year, it is very difficult not be caught up in the hoopla of the Super Bowl. It seems that everyone, and I mean everyone, is talking Broncos. Newscasters are wearing orange and cheering for the team, the grocery stores are wearing Bronco jerseys, cakes and cupcakes decorated in orange, blue and white, sunsets are in the Bronco colors, team flags flap from car and truck antennas, houses have large flags hanging from poles, at church an evening mass was cancelled because of the game, and almost everyone I see is wearing an orange or blue jersey. I've heard  "Go Broncos," over and over again.


On Facebook, I see friends and families in their Bronco paraphernalia gathered to party and watch the 48th Super Bowl. I heard that more food is consumed on Super Bowl Sunday than on Thanksgiving and that surprised me! I vaguely recall when Elway helped (or got) the team to the Super Bowl and how I liked to watch him as he pulled surprises during the last few seconds of the game.  I remember once how an announcer made a comment that the Broncos were not Super Bowl material. Maybe this year they will be!

A daughter of a friend of mine is at the Super Bowl and she  is constantly putting pictures on Facebook of what she is doing while waiting for Sunday's game. I feel as if I am right along with her, enjoying the sights and excitement of being in the city where the game will be played.

This year, I will probably watch the game, not so much because I am interested, but if I happen to talk to a friend who is a Bronco fan, I want to be able to hold my end of the conversation. Maybe I will learn some of the player's names. Maybe I will learn more about football. And maybe, I will cheer for the Broncos
because it would be great if they won.

"Football players, like prostitutes, are 
in the business of ruining their bodies
for the pleasure of strangers."
Merle Kessler

No comments:

Post a Comment