A table with appetizers had green and red salsa made from scratch. My favorite was a tomato, potato, green pepper, onion and Mexican sausage mixture and the flavor reminded me of a dish my mother used to prepare. When I entered the house, the house had a steamy smell coming from the large pots boiling on the stove. I noticed my friend cutting up a chicken and putting it into one of the pots. In another pot she was making a lentil soup and it surprised me when she peeled and put chunks of sweet potato in the soup. I do believe the soup was a very healthy dish.
chicken. Warm corn tortillas were on hand to wipe up the red sauce left on our plates. The rice and vegetable dish had a wonderful flavor brought out by all the secret spices she sprinkled into it!
The two desserts were smothered in a sweet cream and consisted of vanilla-strawberry squares of gelatin, and a fruit cocktail. I hate to think of the calories but the whole meal was a yummy experience.
I looked up the word "enjococado" and to my surprise there are recipes on the Internet. The main ingredient that is difficult to find in the United States is called jocoque. When I was growing up we used the word jocoque to describe any food that had spoiled. The Spanish dictionary refers to it as sour cream or sour milk. Sour cream or yogurt can be substituted for jocoque but I am sure the dish will probably not have that wonderful Puebla taste!
A food taster I should have been
but being a glutton is a sin.
When food is good in any nation
I cannot eat in moderation!
E. Moscoso
No comments:
Post a Comment