Sunday, February 23, 2014

Expensive Pottery

While visiting Puebla, Mexico, I was taken to the Uriarte pottery factory.  I knew nothing about the pottery but I was told that it was Talavera and it could only be purchased in Puebla. When I asked why, I was told that the natural fine clay can only be found around Puebla and in order to make the pottery, the factory has to be registered. There are copy-cats throughout Mexico but a Talavera is signed and numbered.

 The factory employs artisans for each segment of the process. The pieces are all hand made. The pottery is thrown on a potter's wheel which begins the process by forming a pot, bowl, dish, or platter. Eventually, the item gets to the design person who makes elaborate designs into the clay. I noticed that it is tedious work and the workers need to have a lot of patience. Slowly and with care, painters then hand paint the design. Colors can only come from natural pigments and be in blue, yellow, black, green, orange and mauve.

Pieces are fired and sometimes it may take six months for one piece to be completed. I can understand why Talavera is expensive and I purchased a tissue holder for $40 because it was one of the least expensive items.

I have a friend from Puebla who now lives in Colorado and I took photos of some of the beautiful Talavera she has in her home. A napkin holder, butter dish, cups, platters, tea set, planter and a large container, possibly for storage all have original designs. I can picture the artists working on painting pieces like these with backs bent and a steady hand!






No comments:

Post a Comment