Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Friend From My Past

Friendship is important. Yet, I am not a person who makes friends at a drop of a hat. Some of my friends, even though we may not see each other often, are from thirty years ago. When I see those friends, it is as if I am seeing a family member that I haven't seen for a long time. We are eager to hear our good or bad news. Friends are interested in each other's life.  I read something that Aristotle wrote about friendship being extremely important and healthy in our life. I know that seeing a friend makes my endorphins dopamine, serotonin and oxytocin do a happy dance!

Today I had lunch with a friend from the late seventies.When I first met him, way back when, one of the things that impressed me was his kindness toward all. He worked in the Mental Health field and when I saw how he treated patients with mental problems, I was impressed. He treated them as if there was nothing wrong with them. Somehow, our friendship solidified and through the years I have seen him every few months. This time it had been about three to four years and yet, our conversation picked up as if no time had passed! We both have memories of our children as pre-teens and it was interesting to hear what they were doing as adults. He was excited that in December he will become a grandfather.

We had lunch at Julia Blackbird's, a restaurant advertising New Mexican cuisine,
located on 32nd Street in Highlands. A quaint place with Mexican artifacts on walls or in old wooden cupboards.  I had never been to the restaurant and as I looked for the place, I passed many interesting houses and shops. Between Lowell and Julian Street I saw a Medical Marijuana store, a German (Proust), Mexican (Bang!), Italian (Pizza), and a Matador restaurant. The Matador has huge, open windows and the street made me feel as if I was a tourist in a foreign city!   



A very interesting street but the highlight was seeing my friend and catching up on all that has been going on since we last saw each other.

"A strong friendship doesn't
need daily conversation and 
doesn't need togetherness,
as long as the relationship
lives in the heart, a true friend
will never part."
Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment