
Got the griddle out. I had company from out of state and I know they love pancakes. I was going to be prepared and have their pancakes ready when they got up. Began mixing the batter for the Whole Wheat Buttermilk Mix: Three fourths cup mix, one half cup milk, one egg, 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Simple enough but I detected a strong garlic smell. I looked around to see where the garlic smell could be coming from but could not find the source of the odor. I opened some windows, yet, the smell persisted to linger in the kitchen.

As I flipped the pancakes over, the smell seemed to be stronger. I thought the smell might be coming from the griddle. Maybe I had fixed a garlic dish in the past. I looked at the bottle of oil and saw that it was organic, extra virgin, GARLIC flavored olive oil. Now that I had figured out where the strong odor was coming from, I dumped the pancake mix, washed the griddle and began all over again. As more company arrived their first remark was: "What are you fixing? We could smell garlic all the way down the driveway!"
By the time we sat down to eat, and I used corn oil in the pancake mix, the garlic smell has dissipated and the pancakes were light, fluffy and good.
I know that whenever I buy another bottle of olive oil I am going to make sure it is not garlic flavored. I do know one thing for sure.
No evil spirits or vampires would have entered my house that morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment