The date on Modern Screen is Nov. 1965.
These magazines were probably purchased by my Mother. She was an avid follower of the lives of movie stars. At work when someone asked me a question about a movie star, and I did not know the answer, I would call my mother because she usually knew most of the answers. The magazines were in an envelope and when she died the envelope became part of my father's belongings. When my father passed away my brother ended up with them and when he passed away I got the envelope with the movie magazines. I find it interesting to see what was happening in 1965. I had been married for three years, I had two children, and my life revolved around my family. I did not pay too much attention about what was going on in the movies. As I look through the yellowed pages of the mostly black and white magazines the actors I know were very young.
An article is about Leslie Caron and Warren Beatty's affair, professing their love and how they were going to
Modern Screen seems to be a better quality magazine with some color. The Louella Parsons column is full of gossip. Articles cover Frank Sinatra, Mia Farrow, Bette Davis, Suzanne Pleshette, Bill Bixby, Claudette Colbert, James Cagney, Marlon Brando ("Marlon Brando has always been a ladies' man. Although he's over forty now, nothing has changed."), Sandra Dee, Sybil Burton (Richard Burton's first wife), Vince Edwards, Jane Fonda, Natalie Wood, Paul Newman, Geraldine Chaplain (Charlie Chaplain's daughter), Zsa Zsa Gabor, Rhonda Fleming, Ann Miller, Cary Grant (talks about his 4th marriage); and Elvis Presley.
Movies that were popular that year were The Great Race with Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis; The Glory
Guys (only name I recognized was James Caan); The Hallelujah Trail with Burt Lancaster and Lee Remick; Morituri with Marlon Brando, Yul Brenner, Trevor Howard and Wally Cox; The Sandpiper with Liz and Richard Burton.
Interesting to see who was in the headlines, which actors were married and those who divorced. Some of the stars I do not recognize and have never heard their names. I enjoyed reading the tid-bits about what was happening in 1965 in the movie world. I'm glad the magazines were saved because it makes for interesting reading though the photos make it difficult to recognize some of the actors.
No comments:
Post a Comment