Thursday, August 28, 2014

Temptation

Every month, except July and August, the Young At Heart group from Spirit of Christ Catholic Community, celebrates birthdays at either a dinner or luncheon by giving each celebrant a Hershey Bar. I was asked to pick up two large boxes of Hershey Bars at Costco. I purchased the candy bars, 36 in each box, and brought them home. Little did I know how those two boxes would torment me. I placed the boxes in my pantry where they would stay until the next meeting.

For a day, every thing was fine. Suddenly, a desire for chocolate became unbearable. I felt as if my life would not be complete without some chocolate. I entered the pantry and looked at the only chocolate available in two large boxes. A conversation began in my head.

You want chocolate? There it is.
No, I will not open a box.
Why not? You can always replace what you eat.
Those chocolates do not belong to me.
But just think how wonderful a piece of chocolate melting in your mouth will taste.
Do not open a box because I know you.  You will not stop eating until you have finished all of the bars. 
Should I or shouldn't I?

Know thyself is a smart thing to know. I can remember when I worked and I would pick up donuts for the office, that while driving to the office I would eat two or three of them. So I know if something I want is near me, I may not be able to control my urge to eat whatever is tempting me.

I forced myself out of the pantry and ate a spoon full of peanut butter dipped in sugar to squelch my desire for something sweet. I had won a battle over temptation.

A few days later, I was again staring at the two boxes.

Get out of this pantry.
It won't hurt to take one.
Yes, but if I open a box, I may not be able to stop eating the chocolate bars.
Who cares, you are the only one that will know. 
No, it is not right.  Those candies are not for me.
Hey, eat one and go buy another bar to replace it, whose to know?
I will not open the box. It would be dangerous for me and for my health.

I looked around my pantry to see what else I could substitute for the chocolate. A handful of sweet cereal
helped a bit, but in a jar of trail mix I found tiny chocolate morsels. I picked all the tiny pieces out of the nuts and after eating them, my craving went away.

Once again I had beaten temptation! I may be winning battles, but I wonder if I will ever win the war! Thank you God, for letting me have enough will power to not open one of those boxes of the Hershey candy bars.  It has been three weeks and the boxes are still sealed.  I know I have found a way to overcome my desire for those candy bars and another bite out of this Snicker's Bar works great to ease my chocolate craving!

No comments:

Post a Comment