Monday, August 18, 2014

Hook In Spanish

Sunday evenings is not the best night to watch television. Usually I watch PBS Masterpiece Theater on Channel 6 but tonight the stories I enjoy were not on. As I flipped through the channels, I noticed that Channel 14 was showing Hook and since I had never seen Robin Williams in that movie, I decided to watch. My surprise came when I found out it was in Spanish in Cine de las Estrellas.  A good job of synchronizing lips made the movie tolerable and I wondered how that is possible. In the past, I remember where lips were going one way and characters were saying something else. Now, just a few times I noticed the lips moved differently than what was being said. It was if the characters were actually speaking Spanish.

This part was perfect for Robin Williams because he got to be a grown up and also play with the children of Neverland. My emotions were mixed. Sadness knowing that such a great talent was gone. Happiness that he must have gotten satisfaction out of his movies. Curiosity as to why he had ended his life. Laughter at his antics.  I haven't decided if he was a handsome man though he did have beautiful blue eyes.

Other famous stars in the movie were Dustin Hoffman as Hook, Maggie Smith as Wendy and Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell. I felt sad for Tinkerbell because she loved Peter Pan and she is left alone when he returns to his family. I did not realize skateboards were popular in 1991 when the movie was made. In one scene, Robin Williams is bare chested without any hair though I have seen other shirtless pictures of him where he is hairy. For the movie he must have been waxed. Ouch! He seems short in the movie and I wondered if it was my television or if Robin Williams was really short. I found out he was 5'7". One of the lines in the movie is Hook's henchman, Smee saying to Hook, "Do not speak of suicide." Which made me think of the August 11, 2014 tragedy of  Robin Williams.

Steven Spielberg directed the movie and I enjoyed watching the Neverland scenes and the story line of Peter Pan. The movie is sentimental, funny, sends a message about spending time with one's children and lots of
phony action between young "lost" boys and the pirates. Yet, as I watched, my heart was heavy knowing that Robin Williams was no longer with us.

Photo of Robin Williams is from the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment