On Sunday, February 8, 2015 my granddaughters and I were invited to have lunch in Irvine, California with my son-in-law's parents. They suggested meeting half-way in Irvine, a midpoint from where we were and from where they live. Even though I hate driving the California freeways, I thought it would be a fun thing to do even though I would be driving their new car and traveling unknown highways.
My seventeen year old granddaughter was my co-pilot and she did an excellent job of giving me directions.
Once we were on the 57, she said, "Keep moving to the left until you are on the far left lane." It took me awhile to scoot over and once there she said, "You will stay here for a while before having to move toward the exit to get on another freeway." I did not like hearing that there would be another freeway but I continued moving along at about 65 miles per hour. Cars kept passing me on my right and my granddaughter said, "Grandma, you are in the fast lane and you need to go about 75 but don't go over 80 because you could get a ticket."
I have never driven over 70 miles unless it was on the open highway. My hands began to sweat. I felt nervous as I stepped on the gas to about 76 miles an hour. When she said to begin moving to my right, my stomach tightened up, my heart began to beat faster and my hands were so wet I was afraid they would slide right off the steering wheel. God must have wondered why so many silent and frantic prayers were coming from our car. California drivers whip by and around but luckily I was able to move over and ease unto another freeway which took us to the Jamboree exit.
There are two malls on either side of Jamboree and one is in Tustin and the other one is in Irvine. The Lazy Dog Cafe where we were meeting is on the Irvine side and once we found the restaurant and I parked the car, I was both relieved and thankful.
I saw people with dogs on a leash and wondered why there were so many dogs at the restaurant. I was told that on Sunday, dog owners can bring their dogs for a doggie brunch. I was happy to hear that the dogs are served outside in the patio.
No comments:
Post a Comment