
Looking through an old brief case of mine I found some interesting items. The case was filled with information and supplies I would take to Mexico when I volunteered at Santa Maria Del Mexicano, a place for neglected and orphaned children. Strange how the case sat in a closet, gathering dust and forgotten until today.
I found books, flashcards, paperclips, wild animal pictures, calculators, hole punchers, a ruler, a pointer and many items I would use while teaching the children. An envelope addressed "A Quien Corresponda," (to whom it may concern) made me curious. Inside the envelope was a photograph of a runner and a letter of introduction to the Mexican authorities on the border. The letter stated that I volunteered in the State of Queretaro, and to assist me to get to my destination.

Someone had given me the name of Arturo Barrios, a runner who held records in Mexico and had run in the Olympics. Maybe, I was told, a letter from him might make my entrance into Mexico easier. I remembered calling Arturo Barrios and driving to Boulder, Colorado, to get the letter he willingly said he would write. His letter of introduction from him might allow me to enter Mexico without any hassles.
I remember being questioned at the border and being asked what and why I was taking a jeep full of items with me into Mexico. I explained it was for the orphanage. The border patrol was not very friendly and I asked to speak to their supervisor. I explained why I had boxes filled with books, clothes, and equipment and was told I would have to pay a high tax or I would have to leave my supplies and enter Mexico without them.
I pulled out the letter and after reading it, I was allowed to enter Mexico but the parting shot of the officer was, "You know Barrios is famous here in Mexico but did you know he is applying for citizenship in the United States?" I told him I did not know that fact, but was thankful I was able to enter Mexico with no further problems.
I am finding out that the saying of "It's not what you know, but who you know" is very true! Especially trying to cross the border!
No comments:
Post a Comment