Monday, February 16, 2015

Last Minute Decision

Every month, except during Lent, a casino trip is planned for members of Spirit of Christ Catholic Community. This is a very popular trip and fills up right away as soon as it is announced. The trip planned for today to the Mardi Gras Casino was to be another fun trip and I had a full bus of fifty-five persons. I also had a waiting list of twelve persons in case there would be any cancellations.

Cancellations because of  babysitting, lunch dates, doctor's appointments and travel began to come in until the original list of  "gamblers," had completely changed. All of the persons on the waiting list made it to the main list and with the bus full, it would be another fun trip. Then, the weather poked its cold head into our plans.

From the fifty-persons on my list it began to dwindle until it reached forty-two. Weather forecasters were scaring everyone with the 2-8 inches of snow that was to fall Sunday night and into Monday. I got up around six in the morning and looked outside. There was snow covering the ground but it did not look bad. I got on the Internet to see about the weather in Blackhawk. Couldn't find out much other than snow was predicted for most of the day. I received two more cancellations and now it was forty hearty souls prepared to weather the storm!

Around seven I looked out again and the snow was coming down in earnest. Big flakes were landing and covering my driveway with about two inches of snow. I knew I had a decision to make. I called the person who handles our group in Blackhawk and she told me it was snowing in Blackhawk also and that the roads were passable but slow. She told me that it was my decision whether I wanted to cancel or not. At that point, I decided to cancel the casino trip. I let her know that our group would not be going to Blackhawk this morning.

I began calling those on the list who thought they were going to gamble. A few persons asked if they could help by calling some of the people on my list. Thank God for kind and helpful people. Between three of us we got everyone on the list called by eight o'clock. I may be wrong but I thought I heard a sigh of relief from many of the persons I informed about the cancellation.

Now, all I have to do is get ready for our next trip which will be sometime in April. Surely, by then we will have nice spring weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment