Saturday, February 14, 2015

Happy Valentine To My Friends

Yesterday I was at the grocery store and saw rows and rows of flowers in preparation for the holiday of Valentine's Day. I saw stuffed red and white animals. I saw red boxes filled with candy. I looked at the rack of cards. It appears that Valentine's Day has become a big money maker!  I recalled how it used to be in my youth.

"I need 34 Valentines," I told my Mother.
"That's a lot of cards," my Mother responded.
"Yes, but I have to get a card for everyone in my class."
"I thought you would just buy a card for those you find special."
"No, the teacher doesn't want any one to have hurt feelings. She said that there might be one child who would not receive a card and that child would feel slighted."
"Okay, we'll go to Woolworths and buy you the cards."

All through grade school it was basically the same conversation every year. Looking at all the cards at either Kress or Woolworth seemed so difficult because there were so many Valentines in the displays. When we purchased the cards, I would sit at the kitchen table writing from and my name on the back and putting my classmate's names, from the list the teacher had given me, on the envelope.

The teacher would have a red and white box decorated with construction paper or crepe paper with a slot on the top. Each student would drop their bundle of cards into the slot. At some point during class the teacher would read the names and we each went up to get our Valentines. It was fun to come home and look at the Valentines with hearts, cute animals, Disney characters, cupids and arrows. 

Later, in Junior and High School, I might get a Valentine or two from special friends. I hated to get one with "from your mystery friend," because I could never figure out who had given it to me. I knew who I wished it had come from but I was never sure.

The Valentine's received while I was dating or from a special friend gave me a feeling of being loved. As I was cleaning out a box I found Valentines from my husband, from friends, or from my children. Flowers were always appreciated and a heart shaped box filled with chocolate was my favorite! Going out to dinner became a tradition on February 14. It seems that  the holiday has become one, big commercial sales day!

A young man told me, "I am so glad I do not have a girl friend on
Valentine's Day because it is an expensive day with flowers, candy, cards, drinks and dinner!"

Now I get e-mails or a wish on Facebook and that is plenty for me! This morning I received a couple of  texts from Mexico, texts from local friends and a few e-mails. My, how times have changed!

"Roses are red
Violets are blue
Sugar is sweet
and so are you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment