Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Readers United

I belong to a book club. We meet every third Tuesday of the month. In discussing a book we have read we realize there are many subjects that can be discussed, not just the book or story. After reading the same book, our different views are interesting, informative and sometimes entertaining as we discuss the book.

Today it was The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner. An excellent story about a modern young girl who transcribes a diary written by another young girl, of the 1600's, who is accused of being a witch. What I found interesting was that there seemed to be three stories, running side by side, as the author writes about Lauren (a college student hired to transcribe the diary), Abigail (an 83 year old woman and owner of the diary) and Mercy (the accused witch.) Each life is full of conflicts.

Opinions of the group were that choices played an important role, that quick judgement because of stereotyping can cause pain and embarrassment, how friendship can grow, and that some people are selfish and some people may have an evil streak, while others are willing to die for love.

When we found out that the author would accept comments and photos of our club, I pulled out my camera and we had our picture taken. The picture will be sent to the author since she wants to hear from different book clubs.
Three of the members of the book club had dreams of either working in a library or owning a small  bookstore. Almost all readers can not bear to part with books in their collection. I figure that readers are basically the same; turn them loose in a bookstore and they will buy a book or two or more! Last week I purchased five books for my Kindle and now I have to find the time to read them.

Our next meeting in March, will be on Molokai by Alan Brennert. Happy reading readers!

3 comments:

  1. Make that 4 people who dreamed of a book store. At one time Stan and I planned our small cafe (just soups and chili, maybe sandwiches and desserts and of course tea and coffee) on one side, books on the other side of the space--a place with comfy chairs for reading, a few tables for eating, mis-matched plates, hardwood floors and possibly a fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Do you think that all book lovers have a similar dream? I like your dream place...sounds like a place I would visit often.

      Delete