On February 25, 2015, I saw McFarland, USA. I debated on seeing Still Alice or Whiplash but decided to see the movie about a coach who does wonders with young men who work in the fields. It was the best decision I could have made because the movie, to me, was an excellent one. I guess what I liked that it wasn't just a movie about a miracle performing coach with downtrodden kids, but instead it was an eye-opener for how people react to stereotyping.
The football coach, with a temper, has been let go from various schools and gets a job in McFarland, California. As the coach's family drives into McFarland, one of his daughters says, "Are we in Mexico?" Not sure if they want to stay they decide that there is no place to go, so they stay.
The story centers around six high school students who help support their families by getting up at dawn, working in the fields and then running off to school. In the process, the coach who wasn't sure if he wanted to be in McFarland because he saw many Mexicans as trouble makers. Seeing the boys run, he did see potential in the boys and decided to train the boys for cross country running. It wasn't easy but the coach got to know the boys, their families, shop keepers and soon the family settled down in the town of McFarland.
I cried and I laughed and when my emotions become involved in a movie, I know it is a good movie. Slowly the stereo types were erased and people began to see each other with open eyes. Remarks made to the boys from the "white" runners made me wince. "The only way they run, is if a policeman is chasing them,"
and "Or if there is a Taco Bell is in front of them!" Then when a Mexican man kept waving the Mexican flag in front of an Anglo-Saxon, that bothered me too. The Quincienera brought tears to my eyes and the chicken scene made me laugh. In my seat I rooted for the boys to run faster and when they lost I felt sad.
Seeing the coach get up at dawn to work with the students in the fields and for him to see how hard it was for them to even go to school makes one realize how hard it must be for the young men. Seeing the warm kitchen of a Mexican mother as she fed her family enchiladas and seeing how important family is to a Mexican family was beautiful. Hearing the Mexican father explain why his boys had to work in the fields to help feed the family, made me realize how difficult it must be for parents and knowing that their children will follow in their footsteps.
Somehow, after many detours, the boys end up running in California's State cross-country race. I cried knowing how difficult it must have been but with determination of both coach and runners, they were the State Champions!
The end of the movie while the credits are rolling, real photos of Coach White can be seen and his first year cross country team who all went on to college and are now successful teachers or business men. Those first six runners return to run and practice with new teams being formed. The coach and his runners took nine state championships and the town of McFarland enjoyed every minute of watching their boys win!
No comments:
Post a Comment