When a dear friend of mine passed away in December, many memories swirled around in my head. One memory was how he and his wife had traveled with me on a pilgrimages to the Santuario de Chimayo. Every year, for ten years, this devoted couple joined others to enjoy the three day trip.After I stopped doing the pilgrimages, my friend would call me and ask me if I would consider doing another trip. I regret to say that I told him I wasn't planning any trips for the near future. And now he is gone. At his funeral reception I spoke to members of his family and suggested having a memorial trip for him to the place he so loved. Many agreed and asked if I would plan a trip.
In January, I began calling and e-mailing priests, the bus company, restaurants, hotels, and tours to get tentative prices of what a three day trip would cost. I could see that the prices had gone up from when I had arranged a trip in the past. I also figured a two day trip instead of a three day one and will discuss with both the widow and the priest to see which they prefer doing. To put the finishing touches on the journey, I need to know how many persons plan to go because this determines how much each person will need to pay. Once I come up with a price, I will call the places where we will be visiting to firm up the prices. For a trip in August, payment would have to be completed by mid-June.
The Itinerary is that we would travel to San Luis, Colorado to see the almost life size stations of the cross, to Taos, New Mexico for Native American dancing, to Chimayo to see and gather the dirt that for some is considered miraculous, to Santa Fe, New Mexico to see the Spiral Staircase, San Miguel Church one of the oldest churches in the United States, the Cathedral and the many outfits of La Conquistadora, and a trolley ride through Santa Fe.
The bus would be filled with my friend's family and those who knew him as we travel to those places he loved so much. Either a three day or a two day pilgrimage would be a nice remembrance for a wonderful, generous, kind and full of fun man.
No comments:
Post a Comment