Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Once A Year Tradition

Most of my close friends and family know that I do not like to cook. I very seldom prepare large meals. In the past when I would invite family or friends over, I was never satisfied with what I had fixed though everyone told me it was good. But then, I thought, who is going to actually say that the food tastes bad! Every once in awhile, I do enter my kitchen with a recipe in my hand. I may begin all gung-ho but before long, I wonder why I ever started cooking. Especially when I see all the dirty dishes in the sink after I have made something I thought looked interesting. I wish I could enjoy cooking like some of my friends. They seem to love being in their kitchens and preparing different foods while I much prefer to buy something already made.

My sister-in-law whips up delicious meals all the while chatting with a visitor and drinking a glass (or two) of wine. If anything needs to be cut up, my brother will do the chopping of whatever for her. She presents salads in an attractive way and I have never had a bad meal at their home.

Today, was one of those days I decided to cook. I baked an Irish Soda Bread for St. Patrick's Day. It's become a tradition since this is the third year I have baked the bread. It's a bread with a bit of sweetness and when I add raisins it's even better! Tonight I fixed the large, round loaf and can honestly say that I'm glad I only do this once a year.

"It is impossible to think
of any good meal, no
matter how plain or elegant,
without soup or bread in it.
MFK Fisher



2 comments:

  1. It was well worth it! The bread was delicious!! Will you share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I don't do anything that is difficult...it is quite easy and I will e-mail you the recipe.

    ReplyDelete