Saturday I did not do much other than hang around the house and I kept thinking about the party on Sunday.
Sunday I got myself ready for mass and the day was so warm that I decided to come home after mass to change into a summer outfit. I made sure I had my camera and a card for the birthday girl and knowing how I always arrive early, I was about 45 minutes late. There were no cars on the street or in the driveway. The husband was working in the yard in a t-shirt and khaki pants. The dog was with him. He did not look as if he was ready to party. My first thought was, here I am again, early for the party. At one party in the past, I arrived on time while her guests showed up three hours later.
We greeted each other and I said, "Am I early for the party?" He looked at me with a sadness in his eyes, and said, "The party was yesterday." The shocked look on my face prompted him to say, "I'm sorry but let me call my wife." He got his cell phone out and dialed a number. He told her I was at the house and ready to party and he put her on the line.
She apologized and said she was shopping with her daughters and that she had missed me at the party on Saturday. I told her, "That's okay, I wrote it on Sunday on my calendar. I must have gotten the day wrong."
We decided to get together soon and I left.
I kept thinking that my age had something to do with putting down the wrong date. I realize that I am going to have to focus more on times and dates. How could I have made such a mistake. I beat myself up all the
No comments:
Post a Comment