Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Fish Fry During Lent

A few years ago I went to a Fish Fry at one of our local churches. The hall smelled like fish, which I did not like, and the tiny piece of white fish on my plate was dry. I decided to forgo any other fish fries put on by a church.

Yesterday I went to the Fish Fry at Spirit of Christ Catholic Community and was treated to a delicious meal of baked potato, coleslaw, macaroni and cheese and my choice of salmon, tilapia or hoki. The lines were so organized that people went through the  line getting their food and then  moved on to another table where butter, tarter sauce or malt vinegar could added to their plates. Another area  had drinks of water, ice tea and  lemonade. I noticed a large bowl of onion rings at the table where the pastor and his assistant were sitting.

Over 410 persons attended the fish fry and I was told by one of  the Knight of Columbus personnel that he had purchased 125 pounds of tilapia, 120 pounds of hoki and 100 pounds of salmon. I ate the salmon and tilapia and marveled at how well they were prepared, especially for such a large group.


Not only was the meal prepared in a tasty way but the servers were pleasant when asking, "Would you like more?" Everyone I saw in the hall seemed to be enjoying themselves and the friendly people attending the fish fry made the atmosphere one of joy and happiness. The Knights of Columbus, who sponsored the dinner, do a tremendous job of putting on a great dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment