Growing up my Mother did all the cooking for us. My Father worked outside the home and in his garden. My Mother took care of my brother and me, cooked/baked, cleaned house, did laundry, ironed and kept the house clean. There were three things that I remember my Father "cooking" in the kitchen. One was a flat bread that he baked. I remember it was thicker than a cracker but it didn't rise like bread. I used to love to smear jelly on it and liked the crunchiness of the "pan." (bread)
Dad would thinly slice beef and place it in the red coals of our stove. The meat would get toasty black and my guess it was like our modern day jerky. The flavor and the smell of the meat made my mouth water as we stood around the stove waiting for the sliced meat to cook. The third thing I remember my Father fixing came in a rectangular can with the word "sardines" on the top. The tin was filled with six small fish, about 3 1/2 inches long. I did not like the odor of the fish but when he chopped up onion, green pepper and cheese and mixed it into the fish I liked the combination. We would put the mixture on saltine crackers.
The other day I was at the grocery store and purchased a can of sardines in his memory. I don't know if I will like them now, but maybe it will bring back those memories of when my Father would have us eat the sardines because "it was good for us."
When I Googled Sardines I found out that there are many nutrients in sardines and they support cardio- vascular health. Sardines are loaded with Omega-3 Fatty Acid and they are a good source of Vitamin B12.
I sure hope I like eating sardines because it sounds as if they are good for me, just like my Dad used to tell us!
No comments:
Post a Comment