Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Recipes Into The Trash

Why, I wonder, do I have recipes on scraps of paper, in recipe boxes and in books? It's not like I do a lot of cooking or even that I enjoy cooking. Today I decided to toss many of the recipes into the trash. After all, if I want to fix something requiring a recipe, I can always look on the Internet.

Into the trash went Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole, Tuna and Noodles, Seven layer dip, England's best veggie Quiche (crust less), Corn Beef, Oyster stuffing, touchdown chili, Cherry-Orange Delight, Festive Cranberry Pineapple salad, Pumpkin pie, Jello beans, punch drinks, different kinds of daiquiri drinks, peach desserts, empanadas, calzones, pumpkin cake, vegetable pancakes, yam dishes, plus many, many other recipes that at one time I must have felt were important enough to save.



Many sheets of paper, some stained, or 3x5 cards with ingredients but no title went into the trash. In a tin box, which I had been given at my bridal shower (54 years ago) I found cards with co-workers' favorite recipes. Each person was to give me a favorite recipe and as I saw each name and looked at the recipe, I had fond memories of the sweet ladies who worked with me.  The cards were turning yellow around the edges and I had never fixed any of those recipes, but I still could not throw those away. The other bunch I could not get myself to toss were recipes my ex-sister-in-law (now deceased) had given me. These were Peruvian dishes I thought I would someday try, but never did.

I feel better now that I have cleared out some of the recipes. I do believe that every so often I need to clean out things I think I need, yet, in reality, I don't!

"If God had intended us to follow recipes,
He wouldn't have given us grandmothers!"
Linda Henley


Note: Someone commented on my blog asking what were Jello Beans. I dug through the trash and found the information and took a picture. It seems that one of my grandchildren almost choked on the little jello beans so I never made them again!


3 comments:

  1. You make a thick Jello and put it into a mold of small bean like shapes. I think it was an Easter thing and I made them once and put them in a bowl. They were fun to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of jello beans, thought it was a typo (Judy)

    ReplyDelete