Friday, May 6, 2016

The Hitchhiker

When I left the parking lot on Colorado Blvd. and Montview where the Denver Museum of Nature and Science is located, I saw a ladybug sitting on the roof of my car. It was the first ladybug I had seen this year, and thinking that ladybugs bring good luck, I took its picture. I drove all the way home, sometimes going 70 miles an hour and never gave the ladybug another thought. I drove my car into the garage and headed into the house. As I looked back at the car before bringing down the garage door I saw a small dot on top of my car. I returned to see if it could possibly be the same lady bug. It was.

How could it have hung on after twenty some miles?
Do ladybugs have sticky stuff on their tiny feet?
Why did it not fly off? Or get blown off?

I may never know the answer to my questions, but I transported a ladybug from east Denver to Arvada! I asked Google the question and one response was: They have simple serrated claws and Catarinas: sticky pads on the underside of their legs which allow them to cling to whatever they are perched on. I guess I will go with that answer because my ladybug never moved.

The next morning, even though it was cool, the ladybug was in the same spot. I am beginning to think it is dead. I may try poking it to see if it flies away!

In the afternoon, with all the rain we got, the little bugger was still hanging on, but when I returned home in late afternoon, it was gone.

The picture below is the ladybug in the rain!


                                                                                








No comments:

Post a Comment