There are so many scams that I am never sure who is legitimate or not. Yet, when I receive the Newsletter from Santa Maria del Mexicano de Colon, Queretaro asking for assistance, I send money right away. This home is for children who are orphans, have been abused or have no place to go. I know this for a fact because I volunteered and worked at this place for about a month every year for five years.
When I was there the place struggled to get blackboards for the classrooms. Slowly, I noticed many
new things: computers, a school house (built where an old abandoned stone building had been), uniforms for the children, qualified teachers (not volunteers like me), a new bus and farm equipment. Fr. Antonio, who went from Colorado to Mexico to help out, never returned to the United States because he saw the need in Mexico. The latest Newsletter I received, his dream has expanded to cooking, baking classes, sewing, candy making, and baking bread in a new oven donated by some generous donor. These are additional activities along with regular Kinder to twelve grade classes. Some of the students, not many, continue on to a university.
Fr. Antonio would tell me he wanted Santa Maria to be self sufficient and it looks as if with a new irrigation project (built by Carroll College and Engineers Without Borders) they can grow corn, alfalfa and oats to feed the cows to get meat and milk and to make cheese and yogurt. From ten cows they now have twenty-seven cows. When I was there they were already growing their own beans and vegetables. I remember hogs in a very stinky area and sometimes a hog would be slaughtered and a feast prepared.
A few years ago, Padre Antonio passed away but others have followed in his place and continue doing good works. I have fond memories of those months I was there helping and being useful where I could; taxi, teacher, parent, shopper, nurse, cook, tourist guide, house mother or wherever I was needed.
I thought a paragraph in the Newsletter was a subtle hint as to why we should help: These children have an opportunity leave a life of poverty and choose one with dignity and pride....with no need to flee across the border; unless they want to be tourists and spend their well-earned money in the USA. In this scenario, it is a win-win situation and everyone is happy.
A video can be watched at www.santamariadelmexicano.org and donations can be sent to:
Santa Maria del Mexicano de Colon, Queretaro
Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity
P.O. Box 1406
Robstown, Texas 78380
No comments:
Post a Comment