Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A Few Out Of Many

Between my slides, videos  and photographs there must be a jillion memories of my volunteering in Mexico at Santa Maria del Mexicano in Colon, Queretaro in Mexico. Finding these few pictures stored in a box, I decided to put them in my blog. It's an easy way to keep the memory alive of those times I spent with the children in Mexico!
What a surprise I got one December when I saw a tree of Poinsettia's. It was a surprise because I never knew that the plant was a tree. Live and learn!

The pictures below are of the children who I learned to love as I took care of them; a mother with many children! My volunteering encompassed teaching, cooking, cleaning, reading, bathing, hiking, playing and learning. Days were long and even though I would get tired, it was a good feeling to know that in a small way, I hoped, I was giving them what they lacked and helping them grow up to be good adults.







Students dress up as they graduate from one class to another. There is a big ceremony along with a party for the students. When I first arrived at the orphanage, Fr. Clifford Norman, aka Padre Antonio, had three different homes; girls, boys and elderly. Currently, the orphanage now has the San Jose Home for boys age 1-6;  Santa Maria Home, age 7-12; Casa de Niñas, age 1-6;  Casa de Jovenes, age 7-12, and a home for the elderly.

Those times I spent in Colon with the children are memories I will never forget. But, just in case I do, I will have my Blogs to help me remember!

3 comments:

  1. Some times I think they made a bigger impression on my life! I know that a part of my heart is still at that orphanage in Mexico!

    ReplyDelete