Watching Sunday Morning on Channel 4, I was fascinated by the Beret making episode. I have a few berets purchased while in Europe and had no idea the complicated and long process it takes to make the different colored Berets. The beret can cost from $15 to $85 and have been around since the 1800's. One thing I learned about the perky cap is that it is water resistant and can last many years.

At Lourdes, France, on a cool morning, I purchased a beret and felt very French as I strutted around with my head covered. I liked that I could wear it different ways; pulled to the side, pulled down over my head, or in a jaunty manner! I liked it so much I ended up buying three more.
The odd thing is that once on this side of the ocean I wore my beret about four times. Somehow, it did not feel the same as in Europe where many people wore them.
Sunday's program mentioned that some berets are made in China and have made it into the French market. Which I believe is a sad thing. I looked at all my labels and sure enough, every single one of my berets were made in China. I suppose if I had purchased a French beret it would have been out of my price range.
"There are berets and there are berets.
If you don't want to smell like a wet
sock wearing a wet beret, only our traditional
French beret does not retain odors."
Marks Saunders
No comments:
Post a Comment