About four years ago, as I rushed down my stairs leading to my basement, I somehow slipped and broke my ankle. After three and a half long years, I finally was able to tell myself I was back to normal. I learned that I needed to take steps in a slower manner, sometimes one at a time, and lately I had begun to walk down stairs like a normal person.
On Sunday, I needed to go to the basement to find a book for research I was doing on a new church I had attended. I do not know where my mind was but as I took the final step, or what I thought was the final step, I found myself falling. I don't know how many persons have fallen as the foot meets air and not the solid floor you thought was there, and down you go. Deja vu entered my mind as I thought, Oh no not again!
This time, instead of my foot ending up underneath me, I landed on my back with my back hitting a step and my feet out in front of me. The jar of hitting the step and floor hurt and I sat on the bottom step, praying that I had not broken anything. I was able to stand up, walk over to a bookcase, find the book I needed, and return to the upper level of my house. Surely, I thought, if something was broken I would not be able to move. I remembered when my ankle was broken, I had also managed to crawl up the stairs with my ankle flopping around. Maybe you can break something and not know it!
Today is the 4th day after my fall and standing I am fine. I can walk without pain. In bed I am fine. I sleep without pain. It is only when I sit and have to stand up that a dull, achy pain radiates from my pelvic area. I now know the true meaning of "a pain in the butt!"
The thought runs through my head that maybe there is a curse on that 2nd step going down to the basement. If there isn't a curse, then I need to be extra careful on that step. Two falls on the same step, in less than five years, seems like too many falls!
"Love is like falling down...
in the end you're left
hurt, scared and with
a memory of it forever."
Unknown
Maybe you should paint the word "step" on that last one in florescent paint?? Take Care
ReplyDeleteI need to do something though I would have bet a million dollars I would never fall again because I am so careful. Yet, one moment when I did not focus and down I went again!
ReplyDeleteIf it's any comfort to you..today I was at the library and squatted down to look at a book on the bottom shelf, when I went to stand up, my knees just wouldn't hold me and down I went on my rear also! When I tried to stand up again it was really hard again, but I finally made it. I was embarrassed but luckily only one person saw me and she didn't see the actual fall!
ReplyDelete