Friday, May 11, 2018

A Morra Banquet

Last evening I attended a Morra Banquet by invitation of some Italian friends. I did not know what Morra meant or was until it was explained to me that it is a game played by using your hands and fingers. The game originated in Italy and it involves drinking wine and trying to psych other participants. The Internet explains it as a psychological game by watching competitors and by learning body language and anticipating how many fingers will be displayed. There happened to be a nine year old boy who plays with the adults and from I heard the "kid is quite good!"

One exciting part of the evening was seeing my nephew (by marriage) at the banquet with his family. It had been awhile that I had seen them and it was great catching up on their news.
The food was excellent with prime rib, chicken, salad, pasta, vegetables and rolls. I don't usually eat red meat but I ate the prime rib with horseradish and loved every single chew and swallow! The desserts were beautiful (Italian ladies know how to prepare desserts!) and my friend took a large tray of cream puffs.

What fun meeting people, spending time with my friends, seeing my relatives, eating good food, and seeing what awards were given out. The funniest was the team that came out at the bottom for losing the most games and the award was called the Horse's Ass Award. I was impressed about the young students who received scholarships and the winners of the competitions. It seemed, to me, that everyone got mentioned in one way or another.

Thanks to my friends for a lovely evening at the Hyland's Golf Club!

"Morra is a hand game
usually played for 
entertainment or to settle
a disagreement."
From the Internet

1 comment: