Wednesday, May 2, 2018

The Kindness of His Heart

Do you remember shopping at King Soopers Grocery Store and if the clerk made a mistake the item would be given to the customer for free? Usually the item would be marked one price but when the clerk rang it up another figure came up. I remember getting a few items, not many, for free because  the shelf marking differed from what would ring up.

Today I was at King Soopers, using the new scanner which I like, and when I tried to ring up a bag of oranges, a blurb came up that I needed to check with the clerk when I checked out. I merrily went along picking up what I needed and scanning them. When I went to check out I mentioned that the oranges did not ring up and that the scanner had directed me to speak with the clerk at checkout.



The clerk scanned the oranges but nothing came up. Then he asked me what I thought the price was and I said I wasn't sure, maybe $3.99. He tried two or three times to scan the oranges and ended up putting  $3.99. I said, "Oh, I was right?" He replied, "I don't know, because I couldn't get it to scan." I told him I would go check the display and he said, "I'll go." I waited with my buggy while he checked. He returned to let me know that the oranges were not marked and no one in the produce department knew how much the bag of oranges cost.  I asked to speak with a manager because somehow it didn't seem right that just because I had said I thought it was $3.99 that is what he had used.  Two managers arrived to listen to my problem. My comment was, "Shouldn't this item be free?"  He shook his head and said, "That is not our policy."

I must have made a face because he said, "I'll tell you what, even though this is not our policy any more, I will let you have the oranges out of the kindness of my heart."

My reply was "Thank you and thank your kind heart!" We all laughed and we, I believe, had a win-win situation!

"Even when you lost everything
you thought there was to lose,
somebody came along and gave
you something for free."
Jenny Valentine

No comments:

Post a Comment