Sunday, May 6, 2018

Past Friends Come In Fours or Fives

Something odd happened this week. My phone rang and it was a friend from my past. She and I were good friends while we worked together but then life took us in different directions. I considered her my best friend and shared many personal stories with her. She never said she was my best friend, but she also told me everything that was going on in her life! It is funny how no matter how long it has been since we talk, we can pick up exactly as if no time has passed. When she called I did not realize that our phone conversation would be over two hours long.

The following day, another friend who I have not seen in a fairly long time called and invited me to go see her daughter in a Mariachi group at Arvada High School. The group is from Metro University and they spread their cheer to anyone interested in beginning a Mariachi group. My friend has two daughters who began playing and learned the traditional Mariachi music in a program at Bryant Webster. Both girls are talented musicians and singers. The eldest daughter is taking a sabbatical and was not with the group but I did get to see the younger one play the Guiteron (a large fat guitar) and belt out a Mexican ballad! My friend and I went to Pho 65 to enjoy the soupy noodles and we talked up a storm!

Tonight I am having dinner with a friend who moved to New Mexico and it has probably been about twelve years since I have seen her. In the past we would meet every Christmas for dinner and exchange gifts but it just became harder for us to find a time to meet since we were all busy.  I still have the last gift I purchased for her buried somewhere in my basement.

We met at Chili Verde in Denver and laughed and talked as we caught up on what has been happening in our lives. The food was very tasty and when we arrived the place was empty but by the time we left there wasn't a table available. It is a great restaurant for authentic Mexican food. When we finished eating she surprised me by handing me four gifts that she had been accumulating during the years we did not meet.  The gifts were beautifully wrapped in gold foil purple and green ribbons. I felt as if it was Christmas in May!





Two weeks ago I saw another friend who had invited me to see The Diary of Anne Frank and I enjoyed hearing how her life has been going. We will try for the three of us to get together again; the one from New Mexico, the stage manager, and me; the original trio.

These past weeks have been wonderful as I reconnected with past friends. I thank God for allowing me to enjoy my past friendships and to find out how they have fared during the time we did not see each other. Friendships that last forever are wonderful!



"Why did you do this for me?" he asked. 
"I don't deserve it. I've never done anything
for you."

"You have been my friend," replied Charlotte,
"that in itself is a tremendous thing."
E.B. White



Something weird happened today. I sent a picture to a friend Maggie but it never showed delivered.
I called her to see if she had received the picture and a tentative, strange voice answered. I recognized the voice of someone I had known in the 50's. We would see each other at different functions; anniversary, wedding or funeral. I am sure it had been twenty years since I had talked with her. That I remembered her voice (plus her name) made me tell her who I was and that I thought she was another friend by the name of Maggie. 

We talked for awhile and she caught me up on deaths that had happened that I did not know about. It surprised me to hear the sad news and then we chatted about mutual friends. 

Now, I am beginning to wonder why all past friends are back in my life. Could it be that I may be leaving and am having a final chat with these past friends?  I surely hope not, it just seems odd.




No comments:

Post a Comment