Monday, May 14, 2018

Patience is Pure Gold

I wonder where DISH finds people to work in their information departments. Never could I work in a place that verbally tells someone how to fix anything! I have been having problems with my television and have been on the phone with helpers from DISH.  Each time I spend from 30 to over 60 minutes getting instructions on what I should do. I know I would not have the patience displayed by the persons on the other side of the phone line. All four persons I have spoken with  have been patient and I think it is over and beyond their call of duty. Not only do I not know some of the terminology but sometimes I have problems hearing and have to ask them to repeat. Sometimes three or four times! And they calmly do it!

Today was the ultimate of kindness and patience. A few days ago, it was decided that I needed a new Receiver. I would attempt to do the connecting myself and decided to take pictures of the process. The Receiver arrived in a large box. I carefully opened the box and got the receiver out. Then I took pictures of the old connections and where they went. I disconnected the wires with trepidation because I am not mechanically inclined and I was afraid I would do something wrong.

After I had the wires in the right place, I hoped, I turned on the television.
A blurb came up letting me know that there was no connection. I called DISH and a woman answered the phone and listened to my tale of woe. I told her I had disconnected all the cables. She than began asking me questions.


Do you have the cable connected to the satellite cable in?
Are the cables connected to the video and audio?
Do you have a picture?

I told her I did not and she said, "Is the television connected to the receiver?"

I told her that I did not know.  She said, "Follow the cable and see if the television is connected.

I struggled to get down on the floor, tried following the cable but ended up saying, "There are many tangled wires behind my t.v. and I do not know which cable you want me to find."

Do you have two televisions? My answer was yes. "I want you to go to the television in the other room." I told her, You will have to wait because I am on the floor in front of television #1 and need to get up and go to the other room." She said, "Take your time."  A few struggles and I was up and headed to #2 television.

She had me push the search button and I told her I did not see it on the remote. She then said, it is called input on your remote.

We fooled around pushing buttons and then she had me go back to #1 t.v. She never got upset at having to repeat many of the questions and she would say, "Okay, let's try this and proceeded to give me new instructions.

As I fumbled around behind the television, I found a loose wire that looked like a USB port only wider. I told her about the wire and she said, "Yes, that is what connects your receiver to your television. Plug it in." That did the trick and I wondered if I had found that cable at the beginning if that would have fixed my television right away. She did not say anything but she could very well have said, "I told you so!"  Finally my television was working and I felt proud that I was able to follow the patient lady's instructions. I asked her if she had to take a patient pill to deal with people like me and she laughed and said, "No pills, but I understand how frustrating it can be when someone doesn't know the terminology....you did great!"

My next move is to return the old receiver by taking it to a UPS office and everything will be back to normal!

"Patience is the best
remedy for every
trouble."
Plautus

1 comment: