Saturday, April 20, 2019

Holy Week

On Holy Thursday, Spirit of Christ Catholic Community had every pew full. Holy mass began at seven in the evening. Every year this is an  important day as Catholics near the culmination of Lent. The priests are dressed in white garments, renew their vows of priesthood and bless the holy oils. The three sacred oils are in glass decanters and are the Oil of the Catechumens, the Chrism and Oil of the Sick. The oils will then be used in baptisms, holy orders, confirmation, and anointing of the sick. The mass is then celebrated. I enjoyed seeing the two priests con-celebrating the mass. The washing of the feet also takes place on Thursday and this year there were many children, ages 5-7, getting their feet washed. I thought it was the priests' choice because it is easier to wash a child's foot than an old persons gnarled foot! A friend told me that the Pope had made it okay to wash women's feet and children's feet. Evidently, in the past, it was only men who had their feet washed. One exciting and beautiful moment was when the ringing of the bells took place with parishioners ringing bells.  The bringing of the gifts amazed me because the front of the altar was filled with boxes and bags. My gift of toothpaste and toothbrushes seemed small compare to what other people carried and placed on the altar.



As mass ended, the Blessed Sacrament was carried to the chapel through an alley-way of people holding candles. The silence as the people headed to the chapel or were leaving the church was surprising because usually people chat on their way out. Silence, in respect of Holy Thursday, was quite moving.

"As he bathes our feet
and feeds us with his
self, he simply asks,
will you let me love you?"
Unknown Quote





Good Friday is a day of prayer and being at church. It is the day that Christ died and as one priest said, "If you are at school or at work, you should take the day off and come to church on Good Friday." The church was once again full and the priests and deacons were in red and white vestments.  Two priests and two deacons prostrated themselves at the front of the altar for a few minutes and then the Passion of Christ was read by a few people. Hearing many voices say, "Crucify him, crucify him." is a moment that sends chills down one's back.  The homily began with "Bless me Father." Many topics were mentioned; abortion, priest abuse, government misconduct, and other subjects and they all began with "Bless me Father." When the priest sang "Where you there when they crucified my lord," I was filled with sadness.



Veneration of the cross began. Everyone in the church quietly and solemnly approached the cross and touched or kissed it. Some were barefooted. Communion for most people, yet I noticed a few who crossed their arms for a blessing. I wondered if maybe I should have done the same! After all, I haven't been to confession in a long time!

How I wish I had a stronger faith and that I believed without question but I will continue to pray that my eyes will be opened. After all, Mother Teresa was torn by feeling a stronger need in knowing that God was present, so if she asked for help, so will I!

"On this Good Friday
may we never forget
the true meaning of 
Easter. For when he
was on the cross, I
was on his mind."
The Fresh Quotes


Note: A couple of the photos are from past years because this year I did not have my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment